K L S GIT Campus, Udyambag, Belagavi - September 15, 2018
Hon’ble President of India, Shri. Ram Nath Kovind Ji
Hon’ble Governor of Karnataka, Shri Vajubhai Rudabhai Vala Ji
Hon’ble Chief Justice of India, Justice Shri Deepak Misra Ji
Hon’ble Supreme Court Judge, , Justice Shri Mohan M. Shantanagoudar ji
Hon’ble Supreme Court Judge, Justice Shri S. Abdul Nazeer ji
Hon’ble Supreme Court Judge, Justice Shri Vineet Saran ji
Honorable Judges of High Court of Karnataka
Member of Parliament, Shri Suresh Angadi
President of KLS Sri Anant Mandgi
Other dignitaries on and off the dais, distinguished guests, alumni of KLS institutions, Dear students, Media Friends
Ladies and gentlemen,
1. It is indeed a pride and privilege to be part of inauguration of Platinum Jubilee celebrations of the prestigious Karnataka Law Society and Raja Lakhamagouda Law College in the August presence of Hon’ble President of India and Chief Justice of India and other dignitaries.
2. Belagavi holds a special place in the political and cultural History of India. Belagavi played a very important role in freedom struggle. Beginning from the iconic Rani Chennamma, her lieutenant Sangolli Rayanna, Gangadhar Rao Deshpande and many others have led the freedom struggle at various stages.
3. It was in Belagavi that Mahatma Gandhi Chaired the 39th Congress Session held in 1924.
4. It had a long lasting impact on the scenario of freedom movement in Karnataka. This was the only Congress Session chaired by Bapu, and it was platform where many historical decisions emerged.
5. Belagavi has been a major center for the the cultures of Karnataka and Maharashtra. We can see both cultures jelling well in this region which has its own flavor and aesthetic sense.
6. Belagavi holds a special place in my heart too. When I was Chief Minister during 2006-07 our Government then held historical legislative session for the first time here in Belagavi resulting in the construction of magnificent Suvarna Vidhana Soudha.
7. I am glad to mention the fact that my Grama Vastavya, the village halt programme also began from Belagavi District, which was first of its kind in the country.
8. It is our Government’s resolve to shift various Departments to Belagavi, which is the heart and soul of North Karnataka. I would like to reiterate that our Government is Development centric and our commitment towards development of this region will be evident in the programmes we implement here.
9. Karnataka Law Society, which is proudly celebrating the platinum jubilee today, was a dream child of seven eminent lawyers, N.S. Shrikhande,V.A. Naik, V.D. Belvi, B.N. Datar, S.N. Angadi, R. Kotbagi and D.S.Paramaj.
10. Realising the need for a Law College in the region they founded Karnataka Law Society to make legal education accessible in North Karnataka.
11. Shrimant Raja Lakhamagouda Sirdesai of Vantamuri supported their endeavor by executing a Promisery Note of Rs. 1 lakh and the law college was aptly named after him.
12. Many of the founder members and other legal scholars from this region volunteered to teach at this college despite lucrative practice and extensive personal and social commitments.
13. Their sacrifices, efforts and the vision made this, a reputed legal education centre. Students from Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Kerala and Maharashtra took admission and proved to be active in social, political and judicial fields.
14. Today KLS has extended its arena to education in Engineering, Commerce, polytechnic, Management and school education too. And it is heartening to know that all these schools and colleges have been recognized as institutes of repute in their respective fields.
15. These schools and colleges have a list of alumni who are examples by themselves. The luminaries include 2 Chief Justices of India, Justice Shri E.S. Venkataramaiah and Justice Shri S. Rajendra Babu, who was also Chairman of National Human Rights Commission and includes 2 Chief Ministers of Karnataka, Shri S.R. Bommai and J.H. Patel. The present attorney general of India Shri K.K. Venugopal is also an alumnus of this college. Sports celebrities like Arjun Devaiah is also the proud alumnus of institution of KLS.
16. The students of this esteemed institution have carved out their own niche in the society as renowned Judges, Union Ministers and the CEOs and other top acclaimed executives of various companies and in various other fields.
17. I hope this legacy continues in the years to come.
18. I am sure that, with the committed management and the staff, the historical KLS would impart excellent education to the students of this region.
19. I would like to mention that, the legacy of this prestigeous institution itself is an inspiration to the educationists as well as the students elsewhere.
20. Running an educational institution for 75 long years and expanding its base in the region is an uphill task.
21. Educationists across the State can look up to KLS as a role model while the students can be motivated to scale up to further heights by looking at the achievements of the alumni.
22. Let this celebration be an occasion to look back and refresh the milestones achieved and then envisage creation of new chapters in the History of KLS.
23. Before I conclude, I would like to quote Dr. Sarvapalli Radhakrishnan, “True teachers are those who help us think for ourselves” and with the high profile alumni list, I feel it is true for KLS.
24. I congratulate the management, staff and the alumni and the students of the various institutes under KLS on this memorable occasion and I wish you all the best.
25. I wish the function a grand success and hope that this platinum jubilee year is celebrated meaningfully.
Thank you one and all.